
This photo was taken 2 years ago, when we spent Chinese New Year with family in Nanjing, China. I particularly like this photo of my mother and me wrapping the traditional family dumplings because it captures a real, and rare, 'mother-daughter' moment. Unfortunately we don't share enough of those and not from the lack of trying either. Maybe we try too much? I feel she certainly does. Or maybe it's because I try too little and she ends up over compensating? Ultimately precious years can be, and have been, wasted trying to figure out the why, and there comes a time when you just have to accept what {is} and make your move from there.
This year I begin to learn about my mother.
I have taken the day off tomorrow and, other than running a few errands, I was hoping to spend the day working on my web developement course and possibly taking my new camera out on a date (weather permitting). However in order to do so, I have to ignore the voice in my head that is continuously pointing out all the chores that should be done first. I think I am getting there and reconciling the fact that a tidy environment may well be conducive towards creativity, but it is not a prerequisite. In fact I think my need to clean an endlessly messy house serves more as a distraction than constructive action. Now I hasten to add there is a difference between messy and dirty, so I will not be allowing myself to live in filth, but I will accept that priorities have to made: and a perpetually clean house isn't one of them. Besides we are moving in less than 6 months, I can start then!
This year I stop making excuses.
This is great, it's a whole new opportunity for New Year Resolutions! So no excuses now: This year...
I take pictures every day.
I learn about the rhythms of my body.
I train Jake properly so that we can enjoy our walks together a little more.
I write something every day.
I am curious.
I dig deeper friendships.
I remember birthdays.
I cook more.
I create websites.
I launch my business.
I celebrate my art.
I keep a gratitude journal.
I {show} my husband how much I love him every day.
1 comment:
I'm happy to see two posts from you this week as I enjoy your words and photos. (I already commented on that sweet Jack Russell - I think it's a Jack ' face.
The picture of you and your mother is priceless and your list of resolves is mighty. I look forward to traveling with you this year as you keep your promises to yourself.
SS
Post a Comment