it seems apt to start writing again on a new moon. i feel it is the beginning of a new cycle; these last 10 days in particular bringing everything to a crescendo. my darling sister in law recently wrote to me and said: have you been able to find the space to process your own thoughts and feelings? and the truth is i don't think i really have. i feel i have just launched from one crisis to the next, without a moment to pause and think about myself. but maybe that has been a good thing because now, in the quiet of the morning, when i feel the silt of recent events begin to finally settle, i see i have unwittingly created some space. some space between our failed ivf and where i sit now, so that i may be able to process my emotions and feelings a little more objectively...
i've become addicted to house recently. i don't know how it has managed 4 series under my radar, but i am positively obsessed now, with a little crush on hugh laurie too! anyhow, on one of the episodes in season one, the 5 stages of grief were discussed: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. that episode really resonated with me, because it made me pause and consider where i sit at the moment. because i know i need to grieve. i know i need to live through the experience to truly release it, and i know this is something i often struggle with. denial can be so much more comfortable...
looking at those 5 stages i think i've always bounced between denial and bargaining, trying to avoid the anger part where possible. but maybe i do need to get angry. maybe i need to feel the anger in order to move through it?
because i've felt a lot of anger recently. no sooner had we got our bad news, my mother went into a meltdown. for the last 10 days, her moods have been unbearable and each day i would come home during my lunch hour, and after work, to tears and tantrums, smashed plates and food thrown from the table. this continued throughout the days, and work became a welcome escape from home. it all came to a head on tuesday, and my anger erupted. it felt cathartic but was ugly. and it made me wonder if maybe my anger wasn't all because of her...
so now i sit in the quiet that comes after a storm: where the sense of foreboding has gone, but you are left with a fragile peace. as nature begins to heal herself gently and quietly. and i think that is where i am too: trying to heal myself gently and quietly.
7 comments:
Do all you need to do - and be gentle with yourself.
LOVE to you.
All will happpen in it's own time...do the grieving in all the different stages...one by one...until you can fully embrace each of them...my heart is aching with yours xx
You are so loved possum...
Wishing you deep & gentle space
for healing...
xoxoxo
Thankyou for your kind comments on my blog.
The grief you are feeling can be overwelming at times, you will find your way through it, eventually, but it will take ages. I wouldn't allow myself to grieve, and went through a long period of denial, but we all find our own way. Sending you love and blessings. Jo
"i know i need to live through the experience to truly release it"
I love this line, and it resonates with every part of my life. I'm glad you are finding space for yourself. Sometimes we need to just blow up I think, scream and yell or cry or SOMETHING. It's an important part of the process, and like you, I very much try to avoid it. I am quiet about it. I deny it. I am an emotional person, but I hardly ever show it, even to myself and I think it's detrimental. I think sometimes we try so hard to be strong, that we end up making ourselves more fragile by not dealing with things in the moment. We carry so much with us. We let it chip away at us. And it adds up, that hurt and anger and sadness. It cracks us until we break. So we need to allow ourselves to heal right when we crack. It's a process.
I'm glad you are on your way! xoxox
i am sending gentle & quiet healing from here to there...grieve, dear one, grieve. you are being held by so many, so many.
warmly,
gem
This was an interesting post Pen...I have worked in a lot of residential situations and have often witnessed emotions too big for individuals to bear to deal with being carried and expressed by members of staff. Just like children and pets that act out when there are unexpressed problems in a house...So perhaps with your mum's help you're actually moving through some of your anger...I hope so
And so with you on the House thing!
Post a Comment