i had a revelation recently.
all my life i believed i wanted to be a writer.
i grew up believing books were my passion.
and, in order to fulfill my destiny,
i would one day have to be a published author.
so it confused me somewhat,
knowing what i wanted to be,
to find i was still searching.
after all,
if my soul and passion lies in the written word,
why am i not madly scribbling away 24/7?
why am i not spending every waking moment finding excuses and reasons to feast on words?
why am i still looking for myself beyond the page?
for a long time i thought i was procrastinating through fear.
fear of rejection, not being good enough, blah blah blah
(all very real stuff i know, but no need to dwell on right here)
and although there is some truth in that too;
ultimately,
i realise now,
i was stalling because my creative journey needed to begin elsewhere.
so, although i haven't completely discarded my original dream,
i am seeing it in a new context and perspective:
for that, i need to rewind 30-odd years,
because it all begins with my mother...
just as a caveat,
i know she loved me and was the best mother she knew how to be.
in fact she was a wonderful mother in many, many ways.
but,
all my life she has also been incredibly critical of me.
thin on praise,
with a lot of constructive critiscism on offer,
she is forever telling me what (and how) i can do better ~
showing me if at all possible!
(for example, she ended up illustrating most of my school projects,
which i still remember used to make me feel so proud.)
i believed she did this because she wanted the best for me.
and i still do.
but i can also see now,
how unwittingly the message she also sent me was:
you are just not good enough.
so how does this relate to writing?
well, english is my mother's second language.
(she's chinese)
and so i found an escape in books and writing ~
it was a place she didn't have the authority to come and tell me how to do it better.
as such it became who i wanted to be ~
by default.
because it was the only place i could be {me}
no judgements.
no questions asked.
no let-me-show-you-how-you-can-do-it-better.
in a book,
between the pages of my journal,
i could run free and wild in abandonment.
yet i never did feel completely liberated.
there was still something missing.
sadly it's taken the disntegration of my relationship with my mother to see this.
it's taken my not needing her approval,
not searching for her praise,
to do what i've always wanted to do.
this week i picked up a brush, some paints,
and made a glorious mess.
i had a ball,
and i can't get enough of it.
who would have thought,
the one thing i always deferred to my mother,
is the one thing which brings me so much joy.
and so, it's taken 8 years of gentle trust from a man who loves {me}
for me to start believing in what he sees.
and,
as i approach my 37th year in life,
i'm finally shedding some old skin,
and stepping out into my (new) dream.
what dreams are unfolding to you?
21 comments:
I had the 'Oh. I'm NOT a writer.' epiphany myself about 18 months ago. Despite having earned £ from it for years and years, and despite my love of reading, I am not a writer. I understand the depth of the change in you, especially given the added issue of your relationship with your mother.
So subdued congratulations on your revelation and LOUD congratulations on your obvious talent. WOW!x
oh! yummie yummie mess!!!
The painting is beautiful! Cannot wait to see what you put up in our etsy store...heehee...just saying! xx
Wow, what a powerful journey of realizations you have walked here.
And your creativity is so amazing- your eye is genius. Go now, keep on with your beautiful mess...!
i love the painting. our relationships with our mothers form us, don't they, in so many ways ...
i agree with the others, you have an obvious talent.
I'm still working on my dreams at the moment...
But I love this post Penny. I don't have a very good relationship with my biological Mother at all, so I could relate to this post. Despite it being difficult, sometimes we just have to let go of the things that are destructive to us.
P.S Good to see you back btw :-)
this is an amazing story! not only did you recognize the journey, but you've shared it here brilliantly.
p.s. did we have the same mother?
That is absolutely Funtastic!
That you traced your journey to its roots.
That you let go of those roots in accepting them.
That you stepped beyond them into the wonderful woman you are.
That your man's love watered your amazingness, and now it's coming to full bloom.
Awesome!
If this is the sort of work that you're able to produce after years of denial then we're all in for a real treat once you throw yourself into it. It's gorgeous!
Your story is long and full of hard work. It's hard to believe that you can fit that many emotions and that many years into a few paragraphs but you did it and did it well. I'm so inspired by this.
Oh my, your words pieced the fog in my mind today - thank you. My mom was the unfulfilled writer and I think trying to live out her dream in her way has been part of my problem too.
I need to find the Heidi-way through this. Thanks for the map and holding up the light.
Pen,
This is so lovely, and so exciting!
I'm turning 40 this year and for the first time I feel like I can stand in my own power with my own mother (maybe...a little...possibly.)
Maybe it's a developmental stage at midlife. However it comes, I'm grateful for the growth.
Keep painting--it's beautiful and whimsical.
Warmly,
R
oh wow. Im speechless, which doesnt happen very often
You are so lucky, you can articulate what is holding you back. It gives you a better understanding of yourself, the negative remarks to yourself can be history now. You aren't procrastinating, you are on your way to find your own strengtht and find a new balance.
Good luck with your journey!!!
ps: love the new banner...!!! xx
I would use that image in a classroom with younger children in a second. The colour and image would get them first and then the discussion! Wonderful.
Okay, clearly you are a gifted writer, because I'm all teary reading your tender post.
I am so moved by this story of your liberation. I am so inspired by your new beautiful mess.
Celebrating your breaking open,
Danette
Pen, sometimes I come here and I literally feel so incredibly connected to you that I hardly have the words to express the kindred love I feel. Yes, and yes. I too feel and have always felt that way about writing. My relationship with my father is so much like yours with your mother (although he is a brilliant english teacher and consequently I've spent most of my life hiding my writing from him). It's so difficult not to feel good enough, not to feel worthy. But you are SO incredibly deserving of every joy and beauty the world has to offer you, all of the joy and beauty you yourself are. Your art, your photography, your writing, YOU....ineffably exquisite. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself here. It makes my life better. Truly. xoxox
Lovely. You have so many talents! I'm so glad that you are still exploring.
i was actually thinking along the same lines earlier today, so reading your post is quite amazing. i've ALWAYS fancied myself as a writer-in-the-making. I have so many books in my head (which I work on mentally, adding twists and turns in the plots for each). i had always intended to be published before i was 30 - and i did kind of achieve that (although all i published/still do were/are academic articles and not fiction), i had set myself the target of getting some concrete writing completed by my 35th birthday. that day is fast approaching and i have not even started to write. how does that make me a writer? what does it say about my desire to write?
Congratulations for allowing yourself to be free and play! I totally have gone through similar times in my life. I wish you all the best in your creative journey! Be Brave! :)
just peeping in to see how you are....(hug!)
miss you! xx
I saw my mom and I in your post. My mom never said directly or indirectly that I wasn't good enough. But her behavior in my teen years made me feel abandoned and unloved, so I turned to poetry. It was a life saver in many ways, but today I know that I am not just a poet. I have embraced what I truly want to do with my life and it is SO opposite of what anyone would ever have chosen for me.
Post a Comment