today marked the beginning of a new book blogging group hosted, yet again, by the fabulous jamie. it is a real treat, because not only do we get to share and encourage each other amidst a community of kindred spirits, but jamie has also organised an interview with a creative blogger each week to truly fill our inspirational wells!
this weeks interview was with jennifer lee. i had not come across jennifer's work previously, but her words really spoke to me, particularly her concept about the inner muse. it made me think about my own inner muse. am i expressing who she is? am i sharing what she wants to say? how aware am i of the outward projections i make of myself and my inner desires to be who i am?
these questions were aptly timed with this weeks secret, the first of twelve we will explore through the book: acknowledging your creative self.
this has been an ongoing and difficult process for me but in recent days, i've been feeling closer to the truth, and jennifer's words have helped guide me further. i am a fledgling creative soul, but slowly finding my feet; as a photographer, writer and artist. however, i know to fully embody these aspects of myself, i need to actively embrace them.
i had a dream last year to start my own photography business. in the spring, dogtales and dreams was born. but the business (and i) didn't grow as i had hoped and for a number of reasons (circumstance, fear, lack of funds... excuses!) i have allowed those dreams to lie stagnant. jennifer's words awakened my inner muse and she's ready to take the reigns. she wants to be empowered. she wants a voice.
i realise now, she has always been there. waiting for me to notice here. recognise her. include her. i think i am ready too. and so welcome to to my (our) journey.
26 comments:
Huh. It's interesting to hear you describe yourself as a fledgling creative". I was surprised because your photography is so beautiful and heartfelt. To me, you seem like an old soul of an artist. Funny how we see ourselves as opposed to how others see us.
Kavindra is right - your work is BEAUTIFUL. You are clearly a creative soul - I can't wait to see where this journey takes all of us.
Thank you for your sweet comment, Pen*! I am looking forward to continuing this creative journey with so many wonderfully, creative women. :)
Hiya Penn I always loved reading your blogs....don't make that inner muse go hiding ... let her out .. we are not fledgling creatives we are taking a pause :)....
Pen,
I agree with Kavindra. Your inner artist really shines through all of your work. Your photographs are some of the best I have ever seen.
YAY! Our journey has begun! I am so happy to share it with you! May your muse's voice grow stronger and more confident each day :)
I add my voice to the consensus! I adore your photography. :)
I stared an e-zine with a partner a few years back. In fact, I took a year off work on it. We were full of hope and plans and ideas. She dropped out early on and I kept going for almost a year alone, filling a magazine's worth of materials weekly. I finally could not continue. It wasn't a failure. It was a learning experience, one that I will take with me to my next endeavor. :)
Many good wishes for your new endeavors! :)
joy!
looking forward to continuing to witness & celebrate your creative journey, pen*
xo,
gem
The photograph is stunning! So happy to meet you. I also enjoyed Jennifers interview. Looking forward to all the insight from other bloggers here.
:-)
I hope that this book and the inspiration you gather from others reading the book sets your soul on fire and your business flourishes from all the heat!! Here is to a very creative year!
Peace~
Dawn
I just had to go browse your flickr page after reading all the comments on your stunning photography and they really weren't exaggerating about your talent.
It's funny that you connected with that part of the interview because it resonated with me too. But, my resonating was more like I'd finally been knocked upside the head 'oh yeah, I guess I do have an inner muse.' When she mentioned visualizing the muse and I tried to think what mine would look like, it started to make it easier to hear what she might be wanting to say too.
I hope that your dreams for your photography business get reinvigorated with our work on creativity!
Great to meet you Pen...I just know that you and your words are going to inspire me...I'm grateful for you support too...
Leaping,
Lil
Hi pen* :)
I can empathise with you about your business not growing the way you envisioned it. I have been making excuse about one side of my business (the most creative side of course) for far too long.
But then I never give it the time, make it the priority. I think that's the message for me at this stage of the creative year - jiggling my priorities...
I love your photography, you have a magical eye :)
Thank you for your comment on my blog. Your photos are wonderful! This journey should be quite interesting.
Oh I hope you do have the courage to bring out your muse. I can see her speaking already. She will help you!
I loved the interview and the discussion of recognizing our muses, giving her a name, writing a manifesto, giving her a voice.
I look forward to following your journey and sharing in it!
BTW I just adore the name of your photography business. How could it not succeed with a name like that? I have no doubt that you are a creative one, I see it all over your blog. I think it is a matter of harnessing.
Oh my! Your photos are lovely. So kind, gentle and beautiful.
It's OK, perhaps you're just at an invisible crossroads right now and the book and bloggers may help you figure out where your path is leading?
It's so much fun watching this group waking up to that muse! (me included!)
Fledgling? You are no wet baby bird--you are a refreshing whirlwind of imaginative energy!(Seriously, ever really looked at a freshly hatched baby bird? Gross. haha!)
Hooray for you and following your guts--I'm with you on the business end. It can be rough and rougher to be out on your own in the art world, but it's ALL worth it. Honor Your Spirit! :)
I'm anxious to meet your Muse and see what she looks like. :)
Much Joy, Many Blissings~*
Molly
Welcome back to your inner Muse, I'm so excited to meet her on this bookclub exploration! I've seen your photo work a few times, maybe criss crossed from Jaime's site? I loooove your visions! Excited to see what the next secrets bring for you!
miracles,
k-
Thank you Pen for visiting my blog and for your encouraging words. I can really relate to what you said about the inner muse and allowing her to express herself. I have been a very service oriented artist for many years,(people tell me what they want and I paint)and eventhough there is nothing wrong with serving people, I feel the need to give my inner muse priority.
I LOVE your photos, they always take my breath away!
I'm so happy we met over at TAW and that we're sharing these other paths to (re-)awaken our creativity and (re-)connect to our muses as well. It's synchronicity, that's for sure :)
Breathtaking photos! You are really on to something! I think it'll all going to come together and yet I have learned that the journey isn't always as we plan. The path might be more of a meandering one as opposed to a point A to B kind of path. Breathe and simply let the core of your creative thrive. (Advice I have to give myself quite a bit lately)
Sweets...i'm thinking...your business is magical and gorgeous!!! that is the photos...and the beauties in them...and when i saw them the first time i thought if you can take such gorgeous photos of them...you can take such gorgeous photos of people!!! and things!!!! ....sometimes when our inner voices take the lead...we tend to take a step back and let them lead us...
but not in this year! this year YOU are going to BE. You are going to BE the bestest YOU through BEING...and living YOU...so kick out those little monsters....and get your camera...life is waiting for no one!
love you xx
Pen, your work is beautiful ~ such a wonderful, dreamlike quality. Here's to living our creative lives and fighting those guilt demons around finance!
I hope you find what you need over the next 12 weeks of your journey,
Bright Blessings, BB x
oh, pen, your work is so beautiful.
the colours rich and deep and stunning.
so full of soul.
and if my intuition is correct, i think that you are too.
:-)
looking forward to sharing more in the next 12 weeks!
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to this journey we are all on. I like the idea of naming my Muse. I think I spend too much time trying to control her instead of letting her guide me.
Your muse is clearly present in your beautiful photography and I hope she continues to expand beyond your wildest expectations.
I know what you're saying re. business....my low self-esteem and lack of confidence were big drawbacks for me. The fear that I am no good because I have no formal art education is another zapper.
I do realise though that creativity has no boundaries or rules so that is going to be my main focus from now on.
I look forward to sharing another book blog journey with you, Pen.
love, light and peace,
serena
Post a Comment