{my husband, the healer}

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

* love

i just want to blog about my husband and tell you how great he is.
recently he jumped over to the dark side and joined me in probation.
having worked together for the last 4 years,
and then working apart for the last year,
i was over the moon to find ourselves holding hands walking to work together again... sigh :)

anyway, he rocks.
because he changes lives.
truly. from the heart.
he's recently taken on a handful of new cases.
all young men, under the age of 21.
all angry young men, with tough childhoods.
all broken young men,
who now find themselves on the wrong side of the tracks...

and he connects with them.

because he's been there.
they may share different stories,
but the core emotions and experiences are the same.
and they can see he hears them.
he doesn't condone or justify some of the things they have done,
but he understands,
and he knows they can be more than the sum of their past.
he believes they can have a brighter future for themselves,
if they learn to chose it.

for some of these guys,
it's probably the first time someone believes in them.
the first time someone sees potential in them.
the first time someone tells them something affirming. something positive.
the first time someone refers to their future without crime. without drugs.
the first time someone says this all to them, genuinely .

because they can see it.
they can feel it.
the magic is...
then they respond to it.

you see, one thing i have come to realise about a lot of the people we work with is this:
they may not be the most educated, most articulate, most aware people in the world;
but they are some of the most sensitive.
having grown up reading the "vibes" of those around them - be it for comfort or survival - they are constantly conscious and processing how they feel about the people around them.
throw into the mix they are often used and abused by the people around them,
you can see how difficult it can be at times to gain a rapport or develop a connection.

so my husband is amazing.
he manages to break through those layers.
seemingly effortlessly.
and he gets to the person behind the image.
behind the bravado. the shield. the defense.
he gets to core and sees the hurt.
connects with the child. the pain.

and then slowly,
but surely,
he sets about healing it.

hey, do you know i love my husband? :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post, you are both blessed to have each other :-)

Danette said...

What a beautiful post. What's not to love about your husband? He sounds like a gift to the world.

It is such powerful and healing work, to really see someone, and let them know you can see them. So true what you point out about sensitivity in those of us who struggle in that way.

The photo, is simply gorgeous.

And thank you for your musical tips...you are not the first to mention Joshua Radin. I'm looking forward to all these new voices.

Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

That is completely beautiful Pen. What an amazing man and an amazing love you share together. You are obviously so in love and healing for each other :)

Last night my love & I were giving a dear friend a reading together. And the sweet, deep, simple wisdom he shared - it touched me. Here is a man who really hears the emotions and feelings in others. He is compassionate and really *gets* how emotions can flood over us. And he helps me and everyone around him find our own sweet way forward from that.

Goddess bless these incredible men we share our lives with hey!

love love love

Jo said...

I think I may have noticed :)
This is such a wise and beautiful post. Thank you for showing me something I'd looked past.
I'm so grateful that there are people like you and your husband doing what you do.

Genie Sea said...

The world needs more men like your husband. How can you help but love him? I don't know him, and I do. :)

meghan said...

WOW - what a post! Oh, Pen, it makes me so happy to know that you are with someone wonderful.

xxxoooxxxoooxxxooo

Lisa said...

Oh yes, I knew already you love your husband, by the way you look at him through your camera lens.

But now I know a little bit more, why.

And you are both doing healing work - I know you are as good at your job as he is, because you were able to write this beautiful sensitive post about people who have been hurt.

Emma Bradshaw said...

beautiful words Pen ~ the world needs more people like Cam!

emma x

NR said...

*Sigh* I love this. I didn't know this was your line of work, but boy is it great to learn that the world (and more importantly the people you work with) have the two of you to help them out. :)

Like Genie said, it's hard not to love him. But, it's harder not to love the two of you. I love that your love is so sincere, pure and just beautiful...it shines through even without any words. :)

SisterJulia said...

This was so gorgeous to read Pen!