{my mother my self}

Sunday, March 14, 2010

* happy mothers day

"understanding what we have with our mothers
is the beginning of understanding ourselves"
my mother, my self - nancy friday

i first picked up this book over 6 years ago.
i remember being bowled over by it then.
and i think i am ready to read it again.

my mother is well. we went to see her today armed with a bouquet of roses and an invitation to her favourite restaurant.
she was happy. we were happy.

hope you've had a lovely day too.
happy mothers day.

3 comments:

Meri said...

Yes - happy mum's day, though ours in the U.S. isn't until May. Glad everyone was happy. And the photo illustration is quite nostalgic.

Lis said...

So good to hear your mother is doing better ...

I had forgotten about the Nancy Friday book ... hmm ... something I think I have avoided but am getting ready to face ... maybe soon? I know I've carried a lot of her pain, her regrets and sadness as my own for far too long and am like the brothers in Darjeeling Limited ... running along and ready to toss aside those heavy suitcases.

Leonie had me take some salt water baths and allow my sadness over what I didn't get from my mother to pour over me and into the water ... it was about acknowledging the shift from my mother to myself as the source of my nurturance. It was cleansing and liberating and somehow has made it easier for me to tend to her needs now. Not sure if that makes any sense ...

lisa said...

gorgeous image pen! and that book, it kinda scares me...but I put it in my shopping cart anyhow.