{making a difference}

Friday, December 19, 2008



maneouvring through a maze of grief, cam and i have been talking a lot recently. we've been exploring where our souls wish to lead us next, and trying to unravel the truth from the lies we tell to protect ourselves and our hearts...

because what are we really crying about? i mean, although we may never be able to have our own biological children, we are still able to have a family if that's what we really wanted. so is that what we want? and if not, what is it we are mourning the loss of?

don't get me wrong, there is nothing i would desire more on some days, than to see the reflection of our love in the face of a child. to feel the warmth of a small body snuggled into me. to hear cam being called 'dada'. but the truth is, those moments are still be available to us if we choose. so is it really about genes?

and that is the crux of it. from thinking we had no choice, we've found we actually do. in fact, rather than blindly following the conventions of: grow up, meet someone, get married, have children, grow old, die. suddenly we are faced with a conscious decision. and the question becomes: what do we really want as opposed to what should we want. because, when it comes to having children: is it about creating a part of us, or is it about creating a family? and exactly what is a family? what does it mean?

of course most would probably say it is a bit of both, and i don't doubt for the majority it probably is. but for the growing number of couples who cannot have their own biological child, it becomes a genuine question.

cam told me tonight part of his pain is the thought his existance is no longer valid. that his infertility is the universes way of saying he is not worthy to procreate, to take part in the cycle of life. to be part of evolution.

i never thought of it like that before. but what he said resonated.

all my life i've yearned to be something more. to make a difference. to contribute. and i can see now how parenthood is one of the most valuable contributions people can choose to make to society. to create a new life and have the power to instill into that pure being the values and magic of possibilities... wow, what could be more important or worthwhile. talk about well and truly "making the world a better place."

but reality isn't like that. certainly not in the world i live in at the moment. where i work, i meet some of societies most broken and damaged people. where children are having children, and mothers and fathers are too high to care. i talk to men who don't know how to resolve an argument without using their fists, and young girls who get their teenage kicks from street robberies. i spend my days trying to understand who they are and how i can help them.

because i see their raw potential. i see the twinkle in the eye of the man who spends his nights getting stoned and sleeping all day. i see the strength in the 19 year old mother of two who has battled addictions since she was 13 when left by her parents to fend for herself. i see a future for the 'hoodie' who didn't believe he could hold down a job, but has been working for the last 2 months now.

i see possibilities in them they may have never seen themselves. i believe in the strength of human spirit. and i am willing to work with them for as long as i can, to help them see it in themselves. they are not babies. and they don't come from me. but they are part of me. they are part of my world and, to play even the smallest part in theirs, i am making a difference.

without giving birth and having a nuclear family of my own, i can still contribute to the world. i can still plant my seeds. maybe not in the form of my cells and DNA: but hopefully with my words, my hope and, most of all my love.

10 comments:

gem said...

oh pen*,
this is...this is awe-some. inspires awe. the truth-fullness. the generosity of your offering by sharing it here for me/us. the power of your words reaches me here in my little nest across the atlantic. and, i do hope that you feel me & others holding you in your grief...
xo,
gem

Goddess Leonie * GoddessGuidebook.com said...

woman ~
this is powerful.
and profound.
and true.
and vulnerable.
and spirited.
and real.

i love this... and believe it too.

i believe in you...

honouring you and cam's journey and truth and hearts...

big love,
Leonie

pERiWinKle said...

as i read...i nod my head...
as i read...i agree....i think about what you are saying...thinking...
and the only words coming to my mind is how BRAVE you and Cam are...

you are so brave!

i love you xx

PS: BIG hug to Cam xx

pERiWinKle said...

just read this over at Kelly Rae's blog..and thought of you...

for those of you who are like me. tender hearted during the holidays, easily shaken by loss, the memory of childhood grief, or changed forever by an instance that can never be undone. i wish you a kind of peace that leaves your soul untangled, even if just for a moment. and i wish for you what i'm wishing for myself - a quiet hush of healing that recognizes a cracked open heart. a healing that deeply understands pain and releases it all into the wild of forgiveness. and a healing that gently believes that although it all matters, we can move forward with wisdom + grace. as i'm so often reminded, we really can be brave in sadness, brave in love

thinking of you, Brave friend xx

Genie Sea said...

Oh finally! I found you! I had your other website bookmarked and there had been nothing posted, and I was wondering how you were. Duh! You're posting on this one... Good one, Genie... :)

I understand a lot of what you are going through. I am about to reach 40, and I have no significant other. Over the years, I considered having a child via adoption or artificial insemination, but I didn't have the heart or finances to start out as a single mother.

This bothered me. I love children. I love teens. They are magical no matter how troubled they are.

I have come to be at peace with the fact that I will not have my "own" child. I give that love to my students, to causes for youth, to anyone who needs a shoulder to cry on or a warm bowl of soup to eat.

DNA does not equal love. Love is. There are no formulas.

You are an awesome and loving person and all those teens are very very lucky to have you on their side. :)

Lisa said...

Pen this is so touching, heartwrenching, and lovely.

"infertility is the universes way of saying he is not worthy to procreate,"
This broke my heart. I burst into tears when I read it. And inspires me to tell you something I don't usually talk about. When I was a teen I got pregnant, had the baby, and while going thru the process luckily realized I would be a horrible mother. I pray everyday, even tho the "child" is now 32, that she and all the other children of the world who need parents find someone as full of honesty love kindness and gentleness as you and your husband.

Any fool can procreate - it takes a wise and compassionate person to go through what you guys are going thru and come out loving and ready to put that love into the world in a conscious and conscientious way.

Wishing peace and healing for both of you. I am with Gem and all the others holding you in your grief

Sara Moriarty said...

Your honesty continues to amaze me. I doubt I'd be able to speak so genuinely about my raw emotions. Your spirit is enviable.

I have nominated you for a blogger award. Visit http://livingtheartistsway.blogspot.com to check it out.

Oh.. and I can so relate having books delivered elsewhere so the hubster doesn't know the exact number. That was cute!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful inspirational post.
I went through the same thing many moons ago, I still have a lot of "pain" to release, but your words are so full of truth and fight.

Gina said...

I am so touched by this post. You absolutely are making a difference in this world.

Genie Sea said...

Happy holidays to you and yours! May your love multiply and your blessings be abundant!