{take 2}

Monday, February 22, 2010

* ruby

although we "launched" mckinley-rodgers photography a little while ago, truth be known, we were never fully committed to the idea. having been self employed in the past, we found ourselves often conflicted: on one hand yearning for the creative autonomy that comes with being entrepreneurs; yet also reluctant to give up the security of a guaranteed monthly pay check, with paid sick leave and holidays. add to that the financial risk often involved in starting a new business, we have been stuck in the land of indecision for some time now...

i think subconsciously there was a large part of us frozen in fear too; we came so close to losing everything in our last business, the thought of putting ourselves through anything like that again was terrifying. but there comes a point when you have to make a choice, and the nagging voice inside our heads (and hearts) was unrelenting: this is what you are meant to do.

and so, although we are not about to quit our jobs tomorrow, we have agreed to pursue our dreams wholeheartedly; with the aim to be working as full time photographers within 24 months. big dreams at the time of an economic uncertainty? you bet :)

back in november, when we first felt the stirrings, i drew a tarot card to give me some guidance. it's amazing how apt that message still is. in fact it never ceases to amaze me how the tarot can be such a wonderful tool for communicating with your soul; a way of offering insight from your higher self, who so often has the answers and is ready and willing to guide you. and so i am going to embrace the tarot in this journey and use it as a compass to show me the way forward.

i hope to use this space here to document my journey and discoveries, and will commit to a weekly post every monday. if you have plans to start a creative journey, i would love for you to join me!

9 comments:

Jo said...

Well, you know I'll be here :) You're always spot on with your cards. I pulled out the card you did for me the other day and was amazed at how it's even more relevant now.

I know you and Cam will succeed. xx

melissa said...

good for you. pursuing your dreams wholeheartedly is a noble pursuit.

leonie.wise said...

awesome. i'll be here too.

xox

doorways traveler said...

i'm on your team, love. i'll be right here watching and cheering.

xx

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Your photography is gorgeous! I look forward to seeing more.

Wildflower Studio (Michelle Dransart) said...

How exciting! Best of luck on your creative journey, I will stay tuned! Jumping in to do it full time is very brave! Is it you and your hubby? I love seeing husband and wife teams, very cool!

lisa said...

amazing big dream!

Anonymous said...

I say go for it! You've got a good plan in place while building momentum on your plan, do this for 24 months and see where you're at at that time. Sounds like a perfectly good plan to me. I wish you all the best! I'm also a big proponent of Tarot cards for quick guidance. Many times I've pulled a card on a question in my mind at the time and found it to be amazingly spot-on. By the way, that photo is GORGEOUS! Love those colors and the crispness of it!

Lis said...

I still have on my list a tarot reading by Pen :)

You sum up how I am feeling in regards to the security of a "regular" job and the yearning for more creative freedom in one's life. I am trying to wrap my mind around holding BOTH options at the same time ... I tend to be an either/or person but I just need to carve out more space (and energy) to begin those projects (teaching more workshops) within the parameters (and security) of my part time job.

yeah, i know, i am a whiner ... part time job ... it is easy, i just make it hard.

anyway, with you all the way ... your work is so stunningly beautiful it needs to be out there. i hope you find the right balance ... and then tell me the secret!

♥ lis